Vintage outboard boat motor. Looks complete. Not tested
The original company that made Johnson inboard motors and outboard motors was the Johnson Brothers Motor Company of Terre Haute, Indiana, United States.
They started building inboard 2-cycle marine engines in 1903 in a barn behind the house, along with matching boats. By 1908, they were making V4, V6, V8, and V12 aircraft and marine engines. In 1910, they built the first U.S. monoplane to exhibit their aircraft engines. By 1912, their V-12 was making 180 hp, when disaster struck the factory. Torrential rain, followed by flooding and a direct hit from a tornado, wiped it all out, drawings, machinery, and everything else. The brothers relocated to South Bend, Indiana and then Waukegan, Illinois.
Starting in 1922, they designed and built Johnson Outboard Motors, a radical new, lightweight outboard made largely of alluminium. By the mid-1920s, they surpassed Evinrude in sales, and dominated the outboard racing scene.
Johnson moved from South Bend to a new waterfront plant on Lake Michigan in Waukegan, Ill., in 1928, and in 1929 an ad agency coined the name Johnson Sea Horse. In 1935, Ralph Evinrude and Steve Briggs bought the company and made it the third leg, with Elto and Evinrude, of Outboard Marine and Manufacturing Company.
Product code: 102004